Thursday 27 November 2014

Giving Thanks

 
 
Although we don't technically celebrate Thanksgiving in the UK, with family and some very close friends in America it's always been something that we've acknowledged. This year I'm a little sad not to be enjoying my American bestie's Thanksgiving dinner. He lived in the UK for four years and this time last year I was very ill but tucking into his delicious turkey dinner along with friends in his apartment in Cardiff Bay. I still can't get my head around having turkey in November though, turkey's for Christmas y'all, let alone not having it for Christmas dinner (well in NC anyway, once again, turkey's for Christmas y'all!) but Thanksgiving has become a new tradition for us and I've been talking about how I'm going to miss it.
 
So I decided that we won't. Today is my gorgeous nephew's sixth birthday so this evening will be spent with him, however on Sunday I've decided to cook us a lovely Thanksgiving dinner and an apple and coconut crunch for dessert. It's an excuse to get our sparkly pumpkins back out (bought in Target on our last trip to the USA of course) and sit down together and be reminded of the things we have been blessed with.
 
This year has not been the greatest, from start to finish, so I am especially thankful for the special people in my life who have stood by me and supported me through it all. Also for my daughter's ASD support worker who has given me some light at the end of the tunnel. The people who have invested their time, money and faith in my business venture, my beautiful family, the man who gives me my strength and for waking up every single morning.
 
We have some very big decisions to make in the coming weeks and months and although they are playing heavily on my mind I am mindful that many people don't have the opportunities or prospects that we are privileged to be considering and extremely thankful for this.
 
Sending out prayers to those who are not as fortunate as us and wishing you a very happy and safe Thanksgiving!

 Amy
xx



2 comments:

  1. I love that you are going to celebrate it anyway. Why not? We can always find things to be thankful for.
    I hope you get some clarity and wisdom for your big decisions. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt it had to be done! My daughter really enjoyed Thanksgiving in previous years and as you say there's always something to be thankful for. Thank you, I'm sure it will come to us, probably over a bottle of wine (or three!) xx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, I'll get to you as soon as I can! xx